Sunday, May 22, 2011

Russian Winter: A Novel - Daphne Kalotay

Date Started: 5/6/11
Date Finished: 5/18/11

One-Word Summary: Enjoyable

I have a confession to make and that is that I'm something of a Russophile. Not in the crazy I'm obsessed way, more in a I'm intrigued by Russian writers and have Russia as one of my top places to see before I die kind of way. I went on a kick where I read Anna Karenina, War and Peace, Tolstoy's short stories, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov and Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida. I find that I love the rich descriptions of the Russian writers - they so completely transport you to a different world - one that doesn't exist anymore. They are incredibly dense but I enjoy that because it actually slows down my reading. I enter their world, with their samovars and vodka, and I love it.

I say all of this because it means I was predisposed to like Russian Winter. Not that others wouldn't also like it; the story is intriguing, though similarly split between an aged person and their recollections, just like Water for Elephants (odd that I would read these in such close proximity). The difference being that I didn't dread the chapters narrated by present-day Nina like I did the ones by present-day Jacob in Water for Elephants. I was frustrated certainly (we get it Nina, the past sucked - by why take it out on poor Grigori when all he wants to do is figure out who his birth-parents were?) but it didn't seem as completely depressing as Jacob's narration. Don't get me wrong, both were bleak descriptions of a life on the brink of dying from old age but in the end both characters make things right.

I won't ruin Water for Elephants in case you haven't yet read it; the ending was satisfying. But since this is my review of Russian Winter I can go ahead and run wild...
The descriptions of 1950-era Russia and intricate ballet descriptions were great and I equally liked the character Drew, though I found her to be a bit undeveloped. Her relationship with Grigori was predictable but I sill liked it; there is something fulfilling in these characters who are so alone finding each other.

With respect to Nina, thank God she comes to her senses at the end of the book. I was incredibly frustrated with her by that point. Why wouldn't she just tell Grigori whatever she knew? Everyone was dead so it was only her stubbornness or unwillingness to open up due to growing up behind the Iron Curtain that stood in the way. It was literally only in the final pages of the book that she finally wises up and writes him the letter divulging everything. Unfortunately for us readers, Daphne chooses to end the book before we get to see Grigori finally, after virtually his whole life has been dedicated to finding the answer, learn the truth. This was disappointing for me. I wanted to see him learn the truth - how it is revealed in his eyes. I wanted that moment of triumph and though the book ends where you know it will happen it seemed to stop too abruptly; after all of the build-up I felt a little cheated by not getting to read this final scene.

One outstanding question I had with respect to Polina -- what was with the descriptions of her face and the dark shadows under her eyes? Nina recognizes there were health issues but the readers never find out what was the matter with her (if anything). And with her demise this is left unanswered. Why mention it if it was irrelevant to the story? Or did I miss something?

Overall it was a satisfying read for someone who already loves reading Russia-based stories. I'd be curious what others think.

No comments: