Thursday, February 9, 2012

Roma - Steven Saylor

Date Started: 1/29/12
Date Finished: 2/4/12

One-Word Summary: Roman

When I bought this book at the half-price store I really thought it was going to take me a while to get through. Turns out it was an enjoyable, fairly easy read, that I went through pretty quickly. Oh, and no spoiler here - but imagine my surprise when I got to the end of this behemoth only to find out that there is a sequel (which I will now obviously have to read).

I'm not going to attempt to summarize this book - waaaaay too much goes on for that. I'll just say that it follows a necklace passed down through the centuries - a creative way of enabling the author to cover such an expansive amount of time (I believe well over 1000 years). I was sometimes bothered by the fact that generations are skipped and some of the stories seem to just end without enough of a conclusion, though I admit that there would be no way to cover every generation without the book becoming some kind of encyclopedia!

This was an enjoyable read that I'd recommend to anyone with an interest in Rome. Don't let the length fool you - you'll miss out on a great read.

No comments: