Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Perfect Blood - Kim Harrison

Date Started: 2/21/12
Date Finished: 2/26/12

One-Word Summary: Demonless

As I may have mentioned in a previous post, I love the Hollows series, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I got the first book for free on my Kindle. That was how they sucked me in. So here we go with the next one in the series...

Ordinarily, "demonless" would mean good things, right? But not so in this book. I really missed our resident demon, who has been with us from the first book, Al. Granted, he made an appearance at the end, when the newest generation of elves (the babies) meet him and don't find him frightening. But I missed his presence in the rest of the book, in which all of the other characters made appearances. It was nice to see further progress of Rachel's relationship with Trent, even though it happens simultaneous to her progress beyond Ivy and Jenks. And I feel like the books do a wonderful job of building a crescendo between Trent and Rachel - do they like each other as more than friends? Will anything ever happen there? My guess is yes...we'll see if I end up being right.

So what of the story on this one? A group of humans is using magic to attempt to exterminate all magical species, and the only way to make the leap that they need is to use Rachel's demon blood. The action takes a bit longer to build - several innocents are killed (and halfway turned into demons along the way) before Rachel is finally kidnapped by the perpetrators, members of a hate group called HAPA. To no surprise, she is victorious in defeating them, and along the way she finally comes to terms with her demon status, taking off the bracelet that blocked her contact with that world. And that brings me full circle. She talks Al down from killing her (and Trent) and signs over the proceeds from the Tulpa she created so that he is on solid ground again financially. But there had been such progress in terms of their relationship in the last book and I was frustrated not to see more of that in this one.

All that said, I LOVE these books. They are a complete guilty pleasure and I enjoyed this one from start to finish. If you like a bit of fantasy, I cannot highly recommend these enough, starting from book 1 of The Hollows Series and going all the way through (because otherwise you'd be really confused along the way). Love, love love.

No comments: