Monday, September 3, 2012

Game of Thrones - Season 1 Comparison

I think this is tangentially related to books, so I'm going to go ahead and post on this: a comparison of the first book of Game of Thrones with the first season of the series on HBO, plus other observations. Obviously, this ruins both the book and season one, so don't read if you don't want to see spoilers.  Let's get started:



1. Khal Drogo is portrayed as more sensitive from the start in the books than he is in the series. Yes, in both cases they consummate the marriage on the first night, but the way I read the book was that he was  more respectful of Dany's innocence in the beginning. In the series, he essentially just goes at it without hearing her say yes, like she did in the book.

2. Renly Baratheon/Loras Tyrell - Ok, maybe this was just how I read the first two books (because both figures are more prominent in the second book) but I never thought they were gay. Was that just lost on me? I don't know. All I can say is that the love scene in the first season never happened in the first book.

3. Although Sansa says her age is 13 in the show, she looks older than that. In the book she was one of the characters I just couldn't get behind, so petulant and bratty, and I'm not sure she was conveyed that way as much in the first season.

4. Rickon - aged up

5. Osha - aged down (way down from what I pictured, at least)

6. Suped-up sex scenes (like the girl-on-girl action in the brothel with Littlefinger talking about his love of Cat Stark) - obviously this was nowhere in the book. I mean the brothels were certainly there, and Littlefinger owned one but the sex scenes were definitely exaggerated in the show.

Am I missing any other obvious differences? If I think of any I'll update accordingly!

No comments: