Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

Date Started: 10/1/12
Date Finished: 10/8/12

Where did all of my favorite characters (besides Arya) go?! That was my first reaction as I made my way through this book. But of course, I ended up loving it and how so many other characters were further developed along the way. And it didn't hurt that the book ended with a note from the author directly addressing the absence of the major characters, Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow.


Again, not really going to summarize this book because there is way too much to do it justice. But here were some of my main observations (besides wondering where so many major characters were):


  • Woah, Jamie is somewhat likeable - that's a huge development because he was AWFUL before. 
  • I liked learning more about Brienne and really hope that she isn't actually dead as we are led to believe at the end of the book. 
  • There were a bunch of run-ins where you want the characters to figure things out but they don't - for example, Sam running into Arya. Argh - I just wanted them to connect the dots!!!
  • Speaking of Arya, my favorite character who WAS included in this book, I like her story so much and I'm really hoping she isn't blind as she was when we left her. 
  • Is Littlefinger really looking out for Sansa, or hoping to have her for his wife? I liked that he killed Lysa but still question his motives, particularly after his "help" for Eddard Stark.
So, interestingly, I read that the series is intended to number seven, with the last two books forthcoming. Here's hoping they don't take too long, because I'm already well into book five and I will be bummed if I have to wait years for the series to come to a close. But I guess I'll have HBO in the meantime...!

No comments: