Sunday, February 17, 2013

Baby Proof - Emily Giffin

Date Started: 2/16/13
Date Finished: 2/17/13

So I was in the mood for some chick-lit and, as it had been a while since I read her other books (Something Borrowed and Something Blue) I thought why not. Also, I'm due to give birth in about nine days and thought that the premise of this book would be interesting -- a couple facing what happens when one of them changes their mind about wanting to have kids.


Claudia and Ben meet, marry, and live happy unencumbered lives because they both agree that kids are not for them. But then Ben changes his mind, leading to their divorce and much introspection on Claudia's part. Along the way we learn about her family issues (absent mother, sister with philandering husband, other sister who can't conceive), see her embark on dating again (Richard, the older man at work who takes her to Lake Como for her birthday) and OBVIOUSLY finally come to the realization that she loves Ben and is even willing to consider having kids if it means she will get him back. The only hiccup is that he may be engaged to a doctor named Tucker. But, as this is standard chick-lit, you know what happens -- OF COURSE they get back together. I mean, the story ends without any real resolution on the issue of kids - only the fact that both Claudia and Ben have recognized that they would be willing to compromise on the issue if it means they keep each other.

It was pretty predictable that they would get back together, but isn't that what chick-lit is about? The feel-good endings that you can count on. And as uncomfortable as I am as I head into my last week of pregnancy, this was the perfect light reading for my long weekend.

No comments: