Monday, December 16, 2013

Timebound (The Chronos Files) - Rysa Walker

Date Started - Early December 2013
Date Finished - A Few Days Later

Ugh, I hate when I don't have time to do an entry because then it ends up being a crappy one. Anyway, I got this book for free as part of the Kindle Prime First deal (you get to pick one of four pre-selected books for free I guess - this was my first time trying it out). This one looked the best so I thought why not, and I have to say, I really enjoyed this book.

Spoilers ahead…


Below is the summary from Publisher's Weekly, which I pulled from the Amazon site. What can I add to this? I'll agree that it can get confusing with the time travel. That said, it seems to have been well researched in terms of Chicago in 1893, and the future world, which we only get glimpses of, was believable, even the time-traveling aspect (which would seem to be a hard sell, writing-wise). I liked the narrator, liked the love story with Trey, and generally thought that this was a fun read. I would certainly read the sequels whenever they arrive, and would recommend this to folks who like YA writing with a sci-fi bent.

This inventive science fiction adventure asks the dramatic question: what do you do when you’re a normal 16-year-old girl attending a private school in Washington, D.C., you find out that your grandmother is actually a time-traveling historian from the future (the 23rd century, to be precise), and she sends you into the past (the Chicago Exposition in 1893, to be exact) in order to stop your grandfather (also from the future) from changing history by creating a new religion, the Cyrists? Prudence Katherine Pierce-Keller (just call her Kate) has to be a quick study in order to enter the family business -- time travel. Her adventures in trying to stop the cult’s temporal shift take her across alternate time lines and involve her with past and future versions of the people in her life. Confusing? At times. But also nonstop fun as Kate races to restore her basic reality. Along the way, she falls for a boy, Trey Coleman, and hopes that he will still be around after she fiddles with history. Kate is the Katniss Everdeen of time travel, even though this means that she adapts a little too quickly to being an action heroine. Her story reads like a mash-up of Jack Finney’s "Time and Again" and Erik Larson’s "The Devil in the White City." In the end, this novel works as a contemporary, sexed-up tribute to one of those great old Heinlein juveniles from the 1950s. —Publishers Weekly Manuscript Review

No comments: