Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Giver - Lois Lowry

Date Started: 9/2/14
Date Finished: 9/4/14

Man, what a bummer. I was excited to read this one as it's considered THE pre-cursor for the current dystopian craze. Or at least that's the impression I was under. And it was good...until...


the end. Geez how I hated the end. What the hell was that? He goes down a sled with the starving baby that he rescued from certain death and that's a metaphor for...dying? Or what? Did I miss the boat? Did they actually make it to "Elsewhere"? I mean seriously, I could not have been more disappointed with the ending of this book. There's almost nothing else worth saying here.

Ok there's a little more to say: the story is good; the idea of what people will give up for a consistent standard of life is always interesting to explore, and it's done well here. Jonas is a good voice through which we learn about his world. BUT a lot is left unexplained - how do they have the technology that's mentioned? How did they eliminate colors (like seriously, how would you do that? I'm willing to suspend belief in reading - but this was stretching it even for me).

I guess the feeling I'm left with is of wanting more - but not in a good way - in a "there seriously should have been more to this" way.

Oh well.

I hope the movie does a better job with the ending.

No comments: