Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

Date Started: 12/10/14
Date Finished: 12/11/14

Never have I read a book with so much dread. I mean, the book was awesome, don't get me wrong. I was just so ill at ease the entire time I was reading it that it was almost uncomfortable. Why? Well...

The entire book I was just waiting for Eleanor's stepdad to kill her. Literally. I really thought it was heading that way. And the prologue didn't do anything to dissuade that line of thinking. All we know from the beginning is that Eleanor is gone and Park is alone and desolate without her. So yeah, I totally had it in my head that she is killed by her stepdad.

Spoiler alert! She isn't! Though I suppose it could have gone that way. He's that awful - as is her living situation, which Park finally helps her escape from when things get so bad that even the school bully (Tina) takes pity on Eleanor and helps hide her. That's how we end up back at the prologue. They have fallen in love and now they are separated - by circumstances outside of their control. Eleanor goes silent, Park is devastated and so goes first love. But then, in the very last paragraphs of the book, Eleanor sends him a postcard, with three words. We don't know what those three words are but are instead left to imagine (does anyone imagine anything besides "I love you"? Maybe "I miss you"?). And, scene.

This was a great book, easy read, and enjoyable - I liked the alternating perspectives, though honestly, the Eleanor chapters were just painful. But both perspectives were well written and individual, which can be difficult to find.

No comments: