Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ascend (Trylle Trilogy, #3) - Amanda Hocking

Date Started: 6/28/11
Date Finished: 6/29/11

One-Word Summary: Finished!

I feel that I should clarify something: I didn't take the day off of work or spend it holed up in my office reading this book. I actually had jury duty today which meant that I had a lot of time to sit and read - and very easily finish this book.

So since we've come to the end of our trilogy, what can I say? Well, I finished it!


The pace in the third book continues much the same as the first two (too fast). There are some additional character developments such as Elora actually showing Wendy that she cared for her, but it came so late (hello, last book out of three) that when Elora actually died it didn't feel like a huge loss. I certainly didn't tear up (which I am prone to do when reading moving passages). Wendy and Tove get married and *shocker* end up figuring out that they should have just stayed friends. Not to worry, Wendy doesn't get ahead of herself and actually sleep with the guy. No, she waits so that she can cheat with Loki - the seeming-lothario introduced in the last book. The one sort-of-surprise in the book was that Wendy actually got over Finn and fell in love with Loki. After all the mooning about in the first two books I thought she'd end up with Finn but not so much. That said, again, the whole thing felt rushed - like she went directly from being torn up over Finn to falling in love with Loki. And even though it's been a while since I was 18, I'm pretty sure that first loves take a bit longer to get over than demonstrated in this book. I will say that I liked that the book wrapped up with an epilogue to tie everything together. There are outstanding issues that Wendy, as queen, will have to address (i.e., getting everyone on equal footing whether Trylle, human, tracker or Manks) but the series ends with a nice bow on top (Whoa, Wendy is preggers with the first royal Trylle baby? Shocker! Who would have seen that coming?!).

Donezo.

No comments: