Sunday, October 9, 2011

Return To Me - Christy Reece

Date Started: 10/3/11
Date Finished: 10/6/11

One-Word Summary: Dirty!

I finally made it to the last book in the box-o-mom-books. Now, if you click here (Amazon link), you will see why I saved this one for last - a bright pink cover typically doesn't draw me in (as opposed to light pink, which clearly indicates it is chick-lit). This was essentially a thriller for women and based on the other titles listed on the back cover ("Rescue Me" and "Run to Me") it might be a series? In any case this was the only one I've read and the only one I'll be likely to. That said, I went in with really low expectations and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, if you're into thrillers with explicit sex scenes mixed in for fun, this might be the perfect book to pick up.

The premise is flimsy. Noah McCall, who runs a worldwide rescue organization, Last Chance Rescue, can't find anyone who can pose as a teenager so he has to reach out to Samara Lyons for assistance. Samara also happens to be a woman he has been thinking about since his friend's wedding last year. So with this implausible start the story is set in motion. Basically there is a ring of people abducting teenage girls to sell into the sex slave trade. One of the ringleaders also happens to be Noah's twin brother, Mitch Stoddard, because actually, Noah was born Michael Stoddard. This was not a surprise, it was fairly easy to guess.

The action was fast and the love scenes explicit - I mean enough that I was embarrassed reading it on the subway. If that's your thing, right on! My only nitpick with this book is that there were several instances in which you thought the action had come to the end only to find that it wasn't the end of the story and something else was going to go wrong. I mean how many times can Samara be abducted? And of course, in the end, good (and love) wins. (Samara and Noah get married? This did stretch incredulity a bit). It was a better read than I thought it would be so I won't harangue my mother too much for this one (though I might make fun of her for the sex scenes).

No comments: