Monday, October 17, 2011

The Genius in the Design: Bernini, Borromini, and the Rivalry That Transformed Rome - Jake Morrissey

Date Started: 10/10/11
Date Finished: 10/17/11

One-Word Summary: Architectural

I read this book in advance of heading to Rome based on my husband's recommendation. My husband read it before we were in Italy last year and he raved about it the whole time we were there, dragging me from church to fountain and back again. Though I'm not the biggest non-fiction fan, I decided I'd give this one a try since I thought it might give more meaning to the sights we're about to see again. It was worth the read.

The book follows the rival architects, Bernini and Borromini, two men who could not have been born to more different circumstances. Bernini is born with every advantage and couples that with a winning personality and shrewd sense for negotiating papal politics. Borromini on the other hand, had to make his own way without any advantages, save his genius, and had an abrasive personality that even his supporters struggled with. These were the men who shaped the Rome we know today.

The book was great; it really gives you a sense of what went into the papal commissions that these men worked on. That said, this isn't historical fiction, so there isn't much dressing up of their lives. The author sticks to facts and doesn't embellish with fanciful storytelling. We get a lot of information about the churches, though not as many pictures as I would have liked. The pictures that were included made a huge difference in my ability to see the story.

To have read this book right before I head to Rome will prove, I think, to have been a wise decision.

No comments: