Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Glassblower of Murano - Marina Fiorato

Date Started: 10/20/11
Date Finished: 10/27/11

One-Word Summary: Venice!

I decided to read this book because I was about to visit Venice for the first time and thought this book would set the mood for my arrival. It definitely did that: Venice comes alive in this book, which was split between present day and the 1600s when glassblowing was at its height and Corradino Manin ruled the art.

I liked that this book went into so much detail about Venice and Murano. After visiting, it is easy to see that it makes for an enchanting location to set a novel both in the past and present. With respect to the story it was engaging but there was one thing that bothered me in the 1600 story -- the time-line. I felt like there was some detail I missed along the way. I think he dies at 50 (killed by the Council of Ten after returning to Venice to ensure his secret daughter's safety; he had gone to Paris and told them the secrets of making mirrors which the Council wouldn't allow). But his daughter was still young and he had been in Paris for only one year. So did he have the illicit dalliance that resulted in his daughter later in his life? It didn't seem so but that's the only explanation.

One other minor complaint. The story starts with Carradino's death - a full chapter leading up to it. When we reach the end of the book, after going back in time and through the events leading to that night, we then have the entire chapter to re-read. I think this could have been shortened the second time around and not been verbatim the same again.

It's an easy read and, other than the fact that it was set in Venice, is fairly forgettable with respect to the actual story. It's a library or borrow from friends book - probably not one I'd read again.

No comments: