Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

Date Started: 11/29/11
Date Finished: 12/4/11

One-Word Summary: Thrilling

I had put off reading this book for way too long. It was one of those books that everyone raved about and I was worried that it wouldn't live up to the reviews. I was wrong and it was great. But don't read any further if you don't want to see spoilers.

Pros: Engaging story, a real page-turner. So much so that I stayed up late after a fancy dinner (with a lot of wine) because I wanted to find out what was going to happen next! There was action, an unsolved mystery and lots of sex partners along the way.

Cons: There were spots where I think the translation made the text a bit choppy; sentences where I thought to myself "no English-speaking person would speak that way". I also found the mystery of the story (at least the Harriet part) to be completely predictable. I think I knew from fairly early on that Harriet was alive. My only mistake was that I thought she might somehow be related to Lisbeth, which obviously wasn't the case. I also couldn't have guessed the serial killer aspect of the story as it was revealed as you read further -- that said, once it was revealed, I zeroed in (correctly) on Martin right away. He was too obvious a choice, and there was too much effort to somehow implicate Cecilia (though admittedly her aversion to Mikael Blomkvist after their affair ended didn't seem to make sense).

The financial take-down and redemption of the magazine Millennium was a nice way to conclude the book. As I mentioned, I'm really glad I finally read this book and look forward to the next two in the series...whenever I finally get around to reading them!

No comments: