Monday, December 31, 2012

Austenland - Shannon Hale

Date Started: 12/19/12
Date Finished: 12/22/12

Obviously I still wanted something light to read, hence this choice. I've had the sequel to The Passage sitting on my Kindle for weeks, but I know once I start it I am going to be completely sucked in (haha - you'll get the joke if you've read the books) and I haven't wanted that kind of commitment...yet. Maybe it will be the first book I tackle in 2013.

Anyway, onto this choice. I saw it on a list of books that are being made into movies. I feel like this might be one of those books that is actually better as a movie (so few fall into that category for me; really the only one that stands out is The Devil Wears Prada, which I thought was waaaay better as a movie).

Read on for my thoughts...

It took me a while to get into this book. The writing was meh, though I could see how this would make a good movie. Honestly, for the first two-thirds of the book or so, I really thought I wouldn't end up liking the book at all. But I did. The premise is cute (single woman obsessed with Mr. Darcy is sent to a resort that offers patrons the experience of living as Elizabeth Bennet would have, complete with a cast of characters set to fulfill every dream). I thought it was pretty obvious who the narrator's ultimate love interest would be (Mr. Nobely) though was thrown for a loop by the tryst with the gardener. I liked how the narrator shows progression as a character, and ultimately chooses reality over the experience, and I will admit to being surprised that her tryst with the gardener was actually part of the experience (our narrator was surprised by that little fact as well). To tie things up nicely, of course our narrator gets the guy, because this wouldn't be chick-lit if that didn't happen (and so romantic - he buys a ticket, despite being afraid of flying - and follows her onto her flight back to the states).

So it turns out that in the end, I liked the book more than I thought I would. I would also add that it's pretty essential to have read most Jane Austen books in order to understand references made here and there across the story. Most importantly (beyond Pride and Prejudice) would be Mansfield Park (how convenient since I just finished it!). So reader beware - if you haven't read those Jane Austen books, be prepared for spoilers.

No comments: