Friday, December 21, 2012

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, Book 1) - Kim Harrison

Date Started: 12/10/12
Date Finished: 12/17/12

Something to note here (when wondering how in the world I went from reading Mansfield Park to this one) - while I admittedly love a good Young Adult series, I'm also trying to write a YA book. In speaking with someone who went over some of my work, they recommended I do a lot more YA reading than I have in the past. Since I love Kim Harrison's adult writing, I thought I'd see how she handles this genre. Oh, and I wanted something light to read. There's that too.


So here's the thing - there are a LOT of parallels between this book/series and the Hollows series that Kim Harrison is already famous for, such as:


  • Guardian Angel "Grace" = Jenks
  • Lots of mention of "Auras" in both series
  • Characters are similar stylistically; while Madison is Goth, her attire seems to be what Rachel Morgan would have worn if she had been in high school. Attitudes seem generally the same as well. 
This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the book, I did, I just think I might have enjoyed it more if I wasn't such a big fan of the Hollows series. I will say one thing - I agreed with a review I read somewhere that the story takes a while to really get going. You're just kind of thrown into this world where you know Madison is dead but somehow still around because she stole some guy's amulet. But you don't learn the specifics of this world until much later (basically the end)  of the book. I like where the series seems to be going, and the big question it centers on -- whether we are governed by fate vs. choice -- is certainly a good one. I'll probably get around to reading the rest of the series sometime soon...though I did see that the next book in the Hollows series is out in January, and I'll definitely be reading that one first! 

Ultimately I'm not sure how much this will help in my writing, but here's to trying!

No comments: